puppy easter

Hidden Dangers of Easter – Why Easter Lily, Easter Grass, Chocolate & Xylitol are Dangerous to your Pets.

puppy easter

With spring right around the corner, most of us start preparing for our Easter festivities. Bunnies, eggs, and colorful flowers start to pop every where you look.  Even though Easter is a wonderful time to spend with family and enjoy the warmer temperatures, there can be hidden dangers for our pets.  

 

Dachshund puppy dog with spring pink tulip flowers.

Easter Lillies

Although a beautiful addition to any festive home, the Easter Lily can be lethal to our pets, especially cats.  If they ingest the flower without you knowing, they could die from kidney failure within a few days.  Other symptoms include, lethargy, vomiting and loss of appetite. If it’s just not Easter without the lily, opt for the synthetic version to make sure your pets stay safe.

 

Chocolates & Sweets

Most of us know that chocolate is bad for our pets, but it can be easy to leave it out during sweet filled holidays such as this.  Children’s baskets filled with chocolate bunnies and hidden eggs are often left on the floor, but they should never be left unattended when your pet is around.  Make sure your children know that their sweets are not to be shared with the dog because it will make them sick. 

Also, many well-intending sugar conscious parents can unknowingly buy candy that is toxic to your pets.  Many sugar free goodies contain Xylitol which is extremely lethal if ingested by your cat or dog.  While eating a small amount of the sugar substitute is not certain death, it will cause at least discomfort and illness. It is best just to leave any products containing Xylitol at the store or locked up securely away from pets at all times.

If you fear your dog has ingested Xylitol or any other harmful substance or plant contact your Vet or the Pet Poison Hotline immediately.  Please note the hotline does have a fee for incidents, but when it comes to the safety of your pet it is worth it.

 

Easter Grass

The plastic green grass is a hallmark of Easter.  It is often stuffed in arrangements, baskets, and eggs around the house during Easter.  However, it can wreak havoc on your pet’s intestinal tract if they chow down on it while playing.  It moves with the slightest of breeze which can make it almost irresistible for cats and playful dogs. Since the plastic can’t be digested, it can get knotted up and stuck in the their intestines.  The better alternative is paper grass or even try real grass or straw that looks just as festive, but it is much safer and biodegradable too!

As long as you are aware of some of the hidden dangers of Easter, you and your family are sure to have a fantastic holiday.  After all, it’s the time to celebrate, not a time to worry about sickness.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *